TruckSmart driver training is a seven-hour training course for all commercial HGV drivers, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to operate safe and roadworthy vehicles.
TruckSmart focuses on the importance of driving roadworthy HGVs and the role of the driver in ensuring that vehicles and loads are safe and legal at all times. Alongside TruckSmart driver training there is an e-Learning module. The accompanying Fleet Manager Toolkit provides tools, guidance and resources for managers looking to develop and implement an HGV safety system within their organisation.
TruckSmart tracks a series of five themes. The five simple messages are echoed throughout both the TruckSmart training course and the accompanying Fleet Manager Toolkit. They are:
- Know it: a safe vehicle matters
- Check it: walk around before, during and after journeys
- Load it: plan and position your load safely
- Secure it: secure your load correctly
- Report it: record problems and take action
What will drivers learn?
TruckSmart follows a comprehensive course programme that also aligns to the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence syllabus. The course covers the following subject areas:
- Moral, economic and legal importance of operating safe and roadworthy vehicles
- Drivers’ roles and responsibilities within the HGV safety system
- Vehicle checks and defect reporting
- The principles of safe loading
- The elements of a good load security system and the different types and uses of load restraints
- How to mitigate the effects of loads on driving and operational performance
- Roles and responsibilities of the regulatory and enforcement bodies
- Risks, penalties